The Rough Guide to the Internet eBook
- Delivery: Can be download immediately after purchasing. For new customer, we need process for verification from 30 mins to 24 hours.
- Version: PDF/EPUB. If you need another version, please Contact us
- Quality: Full page, full content, high quality images, searchable text and you can print it.
- Compatible Devices: Can be read on any devices (Kindle, NOOK, Android/IOS devices, Windows, MAC,..).
- e-Book Features: Purchase and read your book immediately, access your eTextbook anytime and anywhere, unlimited download and share with friends.
- Note: If you do not receive the download link within 15 minutes of your purchase, please Contact us. Thank you!
A comprehensive overview of SSL VPN technologies and design strategies
- Understand how SSL VPN technology works
- Evaluate how SSL VPN could fit into your organisation?s security strategy
- Practical advice on educating users, integrating legacy systems, and eliminating security loopholes
- Written by experienced SSL VPN and data security professionals
In Detail Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) provide remote workers with secure access to their company network via the internet by encrypting all data sent between the company network and the user?s machine (the client). Before SSL VPN this typically required the client machine to have special software installed, or at least be specially configured for the purpose.
Clientless SSL VPNs avoid the need for client machines to be specially configured. Any computer with a Web browser can access SSL VPN systems. This has several benefits:
- Low admin costs, no remote configuration
- Users can safely access the company network from any machine, be that a public workstation, a palmtop or mobile phone
- By pass ISP restrictions on custom VPNs by using standard technologies
SSL VPN is usually provided by a hardware appliance that forms part of the company network. These appliances act as gateways, providing internal services such as file shares, email servers, and applications in a web based format encrypted using SSL. Existing players and new entrants, such as Nokia, Netilla, Symantec, Whale Communications, and NetScreen technologies, are rushing our SSL VPN products to meet growing demand.
This book provides a detailed technical and business introduction to SSL VPN. It explains how SSL VPN devices work along with their benefits and pitfalls. As well as covering SSL VPN technologies, the book also looks at how to authenticate and educate users ? a vital element in ensuring that the security of remote locations is not compromised. The book also looks at strategies for making legacy applications accessible via the SSL VPN.
What you will learn from this book?
- How SSL VPN technology works, and how it fits into existing network architectures
- Evaluating SSL VPN for your organization
- Understand what to look out for when talking to vendors
- How to plan an SSL VPN implementation for your business
- Educate staff to maintain SSL VPN security
- Strategies for providing access to internal legacy applications via SSL VPN
- A heads-up on likely trends and possibilities for the future of SSL VPN
The book blends technically rigorous descriptions with a friendly approach based on practical examples and scenarios. The authors write in clear, informal language and make extensive use of diagrams and images. The book begins with an overview of SSL VPN?s purpose, and the technical and business trends that are making it popular today. It then looks at how SSL VPNs work and how they fit into existing network plans. The effect of SSL VPN on the wider business environment is then considered, before looking at how SSL VPN technology is likely to develop in the future.
Who this book is written for?
This book aimed at IT network professionals and managers who are currently evaluating SSL VPN technologies. It requires a broad understanding of networking concepts, but does not require specific and detailed technical knowledge of protocols or vendor implementations.